The SciPy stack is a collection of open source libraries of the powerful scripting language Python, together with its interactive shells. This environment offers a cutting-edge platform for numerical computation, programming, visualization and publishing, and is used by some of the world’s leading mathematicians, scientists, and engineers.
This book goes beyond a mere description of the different built-in functions coded in the libraries from the SciPy stack. It presents you with a solid mathematical and computational background to help you identify the right tools for each problem in scientific computing and visualization.
You will gain an insight into the best practices with numerical methods depending on the amount or type of data, properties of the mathematical tools employed, or computer architecture, among other factors.
What You Will Learn
- Master relevant algorithms used in symbolic or numerical mathematics to address the approximation, interpolation, and optimization of scalar or multi-variate functions
- Develop different algorithms and strategies to effectively store and manipulate large matrices of data, with a view to solving various problems in numerical linear algebra
- Understand how to model physical problems with systems of differential equations and distinguish the factors that dictate the strategies to solve them numerically
- Perform statistical analysis, inference, data mining, and machine learning at higher level, and apply these to real-world problems
- Adapt valuable ideas in computational geometry like Delaunay triangulations, Voronoi diagrams, geometric query problems, or Bezier curves, and apply them to various engineering problems
- Familiarize yourself with different methods to represent and compress images, as well as techniques used in image processing, including edition, restoration, inpainting, segmentation, or feature recognition