Mobile forensics presents a real challenge to the forensic community due to the fast and unstoppable changes in technology. This book aims to provide the forensic community an in-depth insight into mobile forensic techniques when it comes to deal with recent smartphones operating systems
Starting with a brief overview of forensic strategies and investigation procedures, you will understand the concepts of file carving, GPS analysis, and string analyzing. You will also see the difference between encryption, encoding, and hashing methods and get to grips with the fundamentals of reverse code engineering. Next, the book will walk you through the iOS, Android and Windows Phone architectures and filesystem, followed by showing you various forensic approaches and data gathering techniques.
You will also explore advanced forensic techniques and find out how to deal with third-applications using case studies. The book will help you master data acquisition on Windows Phone 8. By the end of this book, you will be acquainted with best practices and the different models used in mobile forensics.
What you will learn
- Understand the mobile forensics process model and get guidelines on mobile device forensics
- Acquire in-depth knowledge about smartphone acquisition and acquisition methods
- Gain a solid understanding of the architecture of operating systems, file formats, and mobile phone internal memory
- Explore the topics of of mobile security, data leak, and evidence recovery
- Dive into advanced topics such as GPS analysis, file carving, encryption, encoding, unpacking, and decompiling mobile application processes